Reconnection


Contact was revived between two childhood bestfriends today. They lost touch for over twenty five years. Last they saw each other was on the day of their school farewell. Tears were shed. Goodbyes to the school were pronounced. One of those two people is my mom. She told me about her bestfriend first when I was in grade six. She would tell me the happy memories she had of her. She would narrate to me the incident of her popsicle. Multiple times. I was somehow never bored of hearing it. What happened was that her lemon flavoured popsicle slipped from her hand and her bestfriend who was walking with her,  offered hers to my mom. Ofcourse she didn't take it but this gesture had meant a lot to her. She also told me about the breaks in between two classes when they would discuss which football player they were crushing on. My mom acknowledges that she has learnt a lot from her bestfriend and Miss Mukherjee was more like a sister to her than her bestfriend. She would scold my mom when she was acting out. And my mom would proofread her poems and opine as a critic. This was their friendship. Or sisterhood. As you'd like to call it. 

After school they parted ways. Communication was lost. But today they came in touch again via a friend and they were so happy. Miss Mukherjee said she had searched for my mom everywhere on social media but couldn't find her. My mom had sent her letters after letters which went unanswered. Today she came to know why. It's because they had to sell their previous house and move to a new one. They talked for hours today. Jovially. Honestly. Vulnerably. My emotions were mixed at that moment. I felt happy for my mom. I felt really upset recalling my last friendship that I believed would last till the end of our life. I was somewhat jealous of what they shared even after so many years. My heart was broken twice. Once by the only boy I've ever loved and will ever love. Another time by my bestfriend, Shreejita. I'm so afraid to let people in my life rn. The trust issues are terribly high. I think I'll never be able to connect again even though my mom says I'm too young to feel that way. But it is how it is. I can't make friends now, I tend to end conversations right at 'hello'. It warmed my heart to know that someone from high school did actually care about her bestfriend (my mom). She actually wanted to reconnect with her old pal. That is so precious. My mom is so lucky to have a friend like her and vice versa. It's so sad that I won't ever experience this. I was left. Not once, twice. Now I don't let anyone in my life. I act like I don't need anyone but deep down the wounds still hurt. I wanted to write this today because I just saw by myself what true connection really is and I'm so happy for both of them.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts