The Obsession with Being Remembered




 I said quite a similar thing to my boyfriend when he said he was leaving me for good. It was the June of 2020, lockdown had already stirred up anxiety in me. When he told me he was leaving, I was devastated. It was the only time in my life I thought the world was crumbling down on me. All I could think was that I would get erased off his memory as we parted our ways.

That is the thing with people— we are terrified of being forgotten. We're always trying to make a mark on each others' lives so that we're remembered. In that conversation, I asked my parner not once but multiple times, "Will you remember me?" "Will you still smile when you remember my name after ten years?" I was like obsessed with being remembered. I wanted him to remember me in his mind as the girl whom he shared the little details of his day with. The only girl who knew about his family.

We don't ever wanna forget the person who meant something to us. That's the reason we don't want to be forgotten too. We want to mean something, to the ones who mean something to us.

 

Comments

Popular Posts