A walk with myself



Today I went out on a walk for the first time after I separated from my bestfriend. Initially, I dreaded the idea of 'walking alone' both figuratively and literally, but then I ended up successfully coaxing myself that we are all we have. Hence, walking alone shouldn't scare me. I always thought she wouldn't leave my side, that our friendship would stand as an example of 'forever', but she let me down anyway. That is a story for another time.

Well today I walked past all the places that we used to go to, where we spent our time laughing. I remembered jokes that made us laugh like an idiot as we walked past a certain place. All I did today was walk in silence as nostalgia curled around my body. 

I used to wait for her at the intersection for four streets (she used to be late most of the days). I didn't mind. Didn't have to wait for anyone today. We would leave our house around afternoon and be back home after we've watched the sunset together. Today the sunset was pale, or maybe it was just me. 

I realized a lot on my walk with myself today. People and places always have a connection. A person may leave but a place doesn't change. The memories don't change. The roads we walk always have a part of us. They carry our footsteps. They hear us burst into laughter. They see us breaking into tears. People who were there with us once just become another memory.

-Sarjika

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts